20 August 2026
PO Box 986 Douglas Isle of Man IM99 2TB
Isle of Man News

What A Flurt: Michelin Man’s Menu just days away

Head chef Harris is the man of the moment. (Credit: UCM)

Manx foodies rejoice! A brand new fine dining experience is set to bolster the island’s food scene this weekend, headed up by a local Michelin-trained chef.

Flurt at The Bridge, located in the popular North Quay pub with which it shares it’s name, is described as “an expression of contemporary, Manx fine dining, rooted in local provenance with Japanese influence,” and will open to guests this Saturday with local man George Harris at the helm.

‘Flurt’, meaning feast or celebration after a days work in Manx Gaelic, will offer a tasting menu concept to guests, with it’s menu changing seasonally to encompass the freshest ingredients the island has to offer. Dishes include Manx Loaghtan, BBQ lobster tail, squid ink tortellini, mackerel cerviche, beef tartare and smoked porter sponge.

Service will consist of six courses on Wednesdays and Thursdays, with the option to increase to nine on a Friday and Saturday, and accompanying wine pairings are available. A traditional Sunday lunch concludes the week, and the kitchen will close on Mondays and Tuesdays.

The Man With The Plan

Head chef George Harris, born on the island and first trained in catering at University College Isle of Man, will lead the venture, having departed his Chef de Partie role at Michelin-starred ‘Source’ in the Lake District. At just 21 years of age, his rise to kitchen command has been meteoric.

Harris cut his teeth in now defunct local eatery ’14 North’ during his teenage years, alongside his college education, describing the adrenaline of a service as “like nothing you experience in any other industry,” and emphasising the need to be “thick skinned and resilient,” to survive in the heat of the kitchen

Having previously turned down a role at the critically acclaimed ‘Skof’ restaurant in Manchester, the Ballasalla resident leapt at the opportunity to run his own kitchen in the heart of Douglas.

“This was a different level of offer to anything I had received previously. I had free rein to design the menus, how the food is served and plated. Even the look of the restaurant,” he explained.

“I could tell it was a once in a lifetime opportunity, and that’s what made me want to seize it.”

Local, Levelled Up

Despite drawing upon far-off influences, the 21-year-old is committed to championing local produce in his elevated cooking. MicroVegMann, HoneyMann and Red Mie farm all feature on the menu.

“It’s about skill, precision and knowing what to look for. What does great lamb look like? What does great quality veg look like? And finding your local seasonal ingredients,” he said.

“The bilberries is a good example, and the pine is really good over here. Microherbs too!”

Grand Ambitions

Merely making up the numbers doesn’t cut the mustard for Harris, who has his sights set on cutting-edge cooking’s most prestigious prizes.

“I’d love to get a a (Michelin) Rosette, whether that’s one, two or three,” he said, nerves and excitement evident in his tone.

“Just getting someone to come over. It’s been so long since anyone came to the Isle of Man and even had a look at what we have to offer here.

“It also gives others motivation to push to a higher level. Part of the reason I came back was to elevate the Manx food scene,” he added.

“Then, we can start looking at Michelin (stars).”

Tastebuds Tingling?

Opening night is now fully booked, but tables remain available throughout Sunday lunch and the first week.

Hours are as follows:

Mon/Tue: Closed

Wed-Sat: 18:00-20:45

Sun: 12:00-16:00

Those with specific allergies and dietary restrictions are asked to provide 72 hours notice prior to arrival.

Leave a Reply