23 August 2026
PO Box 986 Douglas Isle of Man IM99 2TB
Isle of Man News

Wind Orchestra Opens Doors to New Players

Photo credit: Jason Coole

The Isle of Man Wind Orchestra is inviting musicians to join its ranks as rehearsals resume for the new school year.

The community group meets on Thursday evenings during term time at Marown School and performs around six concerts annually, including Tynwald Day and the Cathedral concert series.

Its first rehearsal after the summer break takes place on September 3, from 7.30pm to 9.30pm.

Have a go!

Conductor John Kinley said the orchestra is keen to welcome new wind, brass and percussion players, adding that the first session is a relaxed “come and have a go” evening.

No formal qualifications are required, though a grade three standard or above is recommended.

He said the group offers a friendly, supportive atmosphere and encourages those returning to music after a break to get involved.

The orchestra may also be able to help new members borrow an instrument temporarily.

Membership is free for the first term, and free throughout for anyone in full‑time education. Others pay £25 per term or £60 per year.

Anyone interested in joining or seeking more information can contact Bev Quine at concertmanager@iomwo.com or via the orchestra’s Facebook page.

Charlie Morrey is a Broadcast & Multi Media Journalist for Manx.News and also is a Presenter on Energy FM. Charlie has previously written for Isle of Man Newspapers, magazines and also started her broadcasting career with Manx Radio.

Leave a Reply